Keep Ants Away From Your Summer Get-Togethers
There aren’t many things more frustrating than getting ready for a big summer gathering and finding a huge trail of ants marching through your kitchen. Combat products provide a variety of weapons to rid your home of these pesky pests, but as everyone knows, prevention is key. Follow these tips to keep ants from invading your summer parties – then keep them away with Combat baits and gel.
Secure the Perimeter
Tiny and tireless, ants always seem to find a way in. They’re capable of gaining access through just about any tiny crack, hole, or crevice you can see—and plenty that you can’t. That’s why an effective ant prevention strategy has to go beyond the obvious gaps in your defense. Make a checklist for yourself to determine your best approach to keep ants at bay:
• Space Issues: It’s a good idea to make sure any bushes, trees, and shrubs are at least one foot away from the outside walls of your home. Ants are naturally adventurous and adept at using branches and leaves as a platform to vulnerable points around your house.
• Veg Out: Another outdoor pitfall to avoid is masses of dry, dead vegetation. These types of environments are ideal breeding grounds for ant colonies, and the nearer they are to your home, the more likely they are to gain entry.
• Seal the Deal: Remember those little crevices we mentioned? When you see them, seal them. Caulking up gaps and cracks in your walls and windows helps limit potential entry points for ants. It’s not a substitute for proper outdoor cleaning and clearance, but it’s an important part of the battle strategy nonetheless.
Last Line of Defense
When ants want to get in, they will - it’s inevitable. They’re motivated little buggers and they don’t like to take no for an answer. The trick, then, is to make sure there’s less incentive for them to hang around or return in the future. Here’s how to get started:
• Protect Your Provisions: They come in search of food and water. Make sure they don’t find sources of these by storing all food products in sealable glass or plastic containers, preferably airtight ones. Fix any leaky drains to help remove the potential for standing water.
• Crumb Catchers: Ants aren’t picky—when they can’t find the whole enchilada, they’re perfectly content with the crumbs. Make sure your kitchen floor, counters, and appliances are kept clean at all times.
• Take Out the Trash: Don’t get hung up on whose turn it is—just get the garbage out. Make sure to keep your can closed and clean, too.
Even the best preventative measures aren’t completely effective. When ants breach your defenses, trust Combat products to give you the advantage you need.