Five Steps That Will Get Rid of Roaches
Trying to eliminate a cockroach infestation often feels like you’re playing with a boomerang: the problems just keep coming back.
To effectively get rid of roaches once and for all, you need to have a plan as well as a potent cockroach killer - one that targets roaches at their source. As we move into the colder months, your cockroach prevention strategy should focus on keeping them from getting into your apartment, condo or home.
The overall goal of your strategy should be to eliminate the three things cockroaches need for survival: warm shelter, food and water.
- Eliminate sources of water. Roaches need water much more than food. It’s critical to fix leaky pipes, drain stagnant puddles and eliminate places where condensation pools.
- Keep your house tidy. Dispose of piled newspapers, empty boxes, unused paper bags and other piles of clutter. This will help eliminate places roaches can hide.
- Don’t feed roaches. A few easy ways of eliminating food sources include removing dirty dishes from the sink, sweeping routinely after cooking, and never abandoning food on countertops. Any leftover food should be stored in airtight containers.
- Close off all points of entrance. Cockroaches can squirm through the smallest openings. Be sure to seal gaps around pipes with flexible caulk. Also patch any cracks you find along baseboards or around the foundation outside the house.
- Use the right kind of bug killer to get rid of roaches. Spray insecticides don’t target the source where cockroaches live. A better solution to get rid of roaches is to use a different kind of killing agent, like Combat Baits and Gels, that targets roaches at their source. Instead of killing on contact like sprays, its mode of action allows roaches to bring the poison back to the nest where it’s quickly spread around, effectively wiping out the entire colony.
Combat Baits and Gels work extremely well because they’re formulated with irresistible, carbohydrate-rich attractants. Roaches readily ingest Combat and bring it back to the nest where sputum, feces and carcasses spread the poison, dispatching the entire cockroach infestation in a powerful domino-like effect.
Placing Combat Baits in multiple locations simultaneously can accelerate overall control. Combat Gel is especially well suited for hard to reach areas, such as behind refrigerators or near places where cockroaches may be entering your home.
If you would like more information on how Combat Baits and Gels work and how to prevent cockroaches from entering your home during the colder months of the year, check out our helpful prevention video. Be sure to also click over to our Prevention Tips for wealth of great cockroach killing and prevention information.