Are Combat Ant Baits and Gel Safe to Use With My Cat in the House?
Bait stations, gels, and bait strips are excellent for killing ants, but you don’t want them to hurt anything else. While many homeowners are concerned about whether insecticides can hurt their cats, dogs, and other pets, Combat bait products can be used in your home with peace of mind.
The active ingredients in Combat products are either fipronil or hydramethylnon. These ingredients are fatal to insects, such as ants and roaches, but have been shown to have a very low toxicity in humans and domestic animals.
Also, Combat bait stations hold the insecticide inside the plastic shell of the station. This allows ants to enter while preventing cats and other animals from getting to the bait. They are designed to resist opening, that way the only creatures that access the bait are those the bait is designed to kill.
It’s always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to keeping your pets safe. Here are a few tips to help:
- Read all instructions carefully and use Combat only as directed.
- Do not use more insecticide than recommended; this will help prevent unnecessary exposure.
- Do not place Combat baits and gel near your pet’s food dishes, water bowls, beds, cages, or other areas that the animal frequents.
- Restrict your cat’s access to the bait or gel while it is in use.
- Keep all Combat baits and gel in their original packaging. Do not pry open the bait stations.
- Always store unused Combat products in a place where your pet cannot access them. Depending on your cat, this may be on a high shelf, in a locked cabinet, or in a shed or garage.
If your pet does come in contact with the bait, wash the affected area immediately with soap and water and watch to make sure that they do not suffer an adverse reaction. If you suspect that your pet may have eaten the bait, or if they begin to display unusual signs of illness, you may wish to contact your veterinarian. If you have any questions or concerns, please call the Combat Help Line at 1-800-426-6228.