10 Fascinating Facts about Roaches
Cockroaches have been around for some 70 million years, and their genetic ancestors existed another 200 million years before that. While we all know roaches can be a pain, we bet there’s a few things you don’t know about them. Here are 10 fascinating facts about cockroaches you probably didn’t know:
- Cockroaches can live up to a week after decapitation.
- Cockroaches have six legs, but they also have eighteen knee joints.
- Cockroaches have been clocked at over 3 MPH. If a
cockroach were the size of a human, their top speed would be over
- There are over 4,000 species of cockroach,
but only approximately 40 of those are known pests to humans.
- Cockroaches mate one time; the female stores the male’s
sperm throughout her twelve-month lifespan and uses it on an
as-needed basis, producing up to 400 offspring.
- Cockroaches are able to eat virtually anything for food,
including paper, glue, soap, leather, even hair.
cockroach cannot live longer than a week without water.
- Cockroaches can sense the slightest changes in air movement and
react within hundredths of a second.
- Termites are a
close genetic cousin of cockroaches.
- The only way to eliminate cockroaches is by killing them at their source. This is why Combat® Baits and Gels get rid of cockroaches completely.
For more information on how Combat® Roach Baits and Gels work and tips for cockroach prevention in apartments and houses, view our helpful video about preventing roaches from getting into your home.
Looking to find Combat® Bait and Gels at a store near you? Visit our Where to Buy page and we’ll help locate the Combat® products you need.